See how much you know about resumes by answering TRUE or FALSE to these statements.
- Your references should be included at the bottom of your resume.
- You should list a home and cell phone number.
- You should only put experience on your resume that you were paid for.
- An employer will look at your resume for 10 seconds or less initially to determine if he wants to call you for an interview.
- You have to put every job you have had on your resume.
- When listing your jobs you should put the entire address (street, city, state and zip) of the company that you worked for.
- When putting the dates you worked at a job it is acceptable to just list the year.
- It is very important to have extra-curricular activities on your resume such as professional memberships, volunteer work, etc.
- It is okay to use a font less than size 10 on your resume.
- When mailing your resume to an employer, it is okay to fold it to put it in a standard envelope.
- To make your resume easier to read, it is okay to capitalize, bold or underline things.
- Having just one mistake on your resume could disqualify you from getting an interview.
- When describing your job duties, you should use complete sentences.
- A resume is more likely to be considered if it has keywords and uses industry terminology.
- Your education should always be listed before your professional experience.
- It is acceptable to decrease the margins to fit more information on the page.
- You must have an objective to let employers know what job/industry you are interested in.
- You should list your supervisor’s name and phone number for each job.
- A lot of employers use resume scanning software to “weed out” resumes.
- You should use ‘Duties include’ or ‘Responsible for’ to describe your job duties.
Below are the answers to the statements above. If you did not get all the answers correct, you should consider having a professional Resume Writer restructure your resume for you.
1. F 2. F 3. F 4. T 5. F
6. F 7. T 8. T 9. F 10. F
11. T 12. T 13. F 14. T 15. F
16. T 17. F 18. F 19. T 20. F